Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Last Weekend in Spain

I cannot believe my time here is almost over. I feel like I just arrived. I have been here just long enough to establish a good relationship with everyone and now I have to leave. Santi and Blanca saw that I was starting to pack and both gave me very angry looks. I was so lucky to have the host family that I have and I am really going to miss them. I love Barcelona, but I am ready to get back to the bluegrass.

I stayed in Barcelona for my last weekend here and saw all of the sights that I still wanted to see. On Saturday, Carley and I headed up Mt. Tibidabo. We took a funicular to the top of the mountain and I was terrified the entire time. Once we made it to the top we walked around the park for a bit before heading into the church. Inside, there was a nice older gentleman who told us the history of the church for free. He told us his English was very bad, but in reality his English was excellent. I loved talking with him and learning a little bit more about this amazing place. Then, we made our way to The Sacred Heart.
I was at the very top!


Being up there really felt like being on top of the world. We were able to see all of Barcelona from the top. After Tibidabo we went to Placa Catalunya to walk to Casa Batllo and Casa Mila. Both houses were designed by Antoni Gaudi. Casa Mila is the one I have always wanted to see, but it was covered up so they could clean it. I was extremely disappointed when I realized this.


Before the day was over, we hit up Courte Ingles and the Bull Ring mall, and Carley let some fish nibble on her toes.
They eat the dead skin off of your feet.
To end the day we ate at Hard Rock Cafe. We had to wait for over an hour to be seated, but it was worth the wait.

On Sunday, Javier took us and the children to Monserrat. This is a monastery in the mountains. We took a cable car to get to the top, which was even more terrifying than the funicular at Tibidabo.
I didn't really get to see any monks but we were lucky enough to see some castellers. This is something I have wanted to see since I learned what they are. Castellers are people who create human formations. It is a tradition of Catalonia. The largest people are on the bottom and the smallest ones climb to the top. The very top is small children. Tradition or not, I just don't think I would ever let a child participate in this. It was an amazing sight to see though.

While in Monserrat we walked through the cathedral and visited the image of the virgin. We spent most of the day there.


It was nice to get out with the family and spend more time with them as my time here is coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment